What a game Saturday was. From multiple turnovers to missed kicks, Kansas State versus Texas had everything a football game could possibly have, and the ‘Horns came away with the 33-30 OT victory. Let’s take a look at what Texas head coach Steve Sarksian had to say about the win, the upcoming TCU game, and more:
- Sarkisian’s opening statement: said he was “Thoroughly impressed with the physicality” against Kansas State. “We really played good football a majority of the game” and that the key now is to fix the “self-inflicted wounds” as well. That phrase has been used several times in the past as well, especially last season. Let’s see if the Horns can fix them come Saturday.
- Sarkisian on the environment of DKR on Saturday: “we needed our fans up until that very last play…. I envisioned having one of the most intimidating places to play in the country… It’s very special… I’m grateful… it’s an awesome time to be supporting Texas Longhorn football”
- Injury update: the whole team practiced on Monday, but the status of players such as OL Kelvin Banks will be monitored throughout the week. Along with this, QB Quinn Ewers is now viewed as “day-to-day” as he threw at Monday’s practice as well
- Sarkisian on QB Maalik Murphy: “There’s not as many consequences in practice… sometimes you have to have the real life experience, sometimes you have to have those growing pains”. Also added how difficult it is to decide to throw the ball away as a younger QB.
- Sarkisian on the run defense: “I think you win football games up front… we’ve tried to recruit well, but we’ve also tried to develop…”. Adds that DL Murphy and Sweat have really grown over the past year as well. Later in the conference, he added, “In my opinion, we have two of the most dominant interior defensive lineman in the country… and I don’t think either of them have had a holding call against them all year”. He also mentioned how he does send some plays in for review after watching game films that seemed to be obvious penalties yet were not called.
- Sark on giving out QB reps during practice: “It’s a balancing act…”. He mentioned it’s all about how many reps, what they are running in their reps etc. but that it’s “never easy”. Regarding QB Arch Manning, Steve said: “What I’ve learned over the past couple of weeks… he can make a lot of throws down field… he is very athletic… he’s a strong, powerful guy…”
- Sarkisian on TCU: “I think we should get accustomed to ‘that’s just how it’s going to be'”, referencing the hostility towards them when Texas plays on the road. Adds that it’s about “poise and composure” and that you “play really well together”
- Sarkisian on WR’s Xavier Worthy and A.D. Mitchell : “[Worthy] hasn’t gotten a PI call against him in the past 2 games… but he’s running fast, playing hard… he’s been playing really good football for us over the past 2 weeks”. For Mitchell, “Two things I have seen the most out of A.D…. is his route running… and he’s become a really good blocker”