Welcome to the HornSports Forum

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our Texas Longhorns message board community.

SignUp Now!

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-Recruiting)

I was just watching some old SEC Shorts and forgot how much ridicule they heaped on out Longhorns before the transition. Well, no team has won more SEC regular conference games than Texas. Only UGa and Texas are 13-3 over the last two season's. They should make a short about that. But leave out the head to heads :rolleyes:
 
We all get on Sark for the way the offense is working or not working, but I will give him some props for Muschamp. Texas had a good defense last year and prior, but Sark made the proper call to make this defense elite. Now if they can figure out how to make the offense efficient then this team will be unstoppable.
 
We all get on Sark for the way the offense is working or not working, but I will give him some props for Muschamp. Texas had a good defense last year and prior, but Sark made the proper call to make this defense elite. Now if they can figure out how to make the offense efficient then this team will be unstoppable.
I think Sark is a great HEAD COACH. I would NOT hire him, at this point, as an OC or a QB coach. He would be an elite head coach if he would hire an elite OC and let the OC do his thing.

I don't think there's much doubt that if an OC / QB coach (not Sark) were responsible for the Texas offense since Sark arrived - we would have seen a change by now. I doubt he would have made it to year 4. We are the second most penalized team in the country since the beginning of last year... and I'm gonig to guess the lion's share of that is offense. In any other universe -- the buck stops at the responsible coaches desk.

I don't know what it's going to take for this to happen? My guess is pressure from CDC. But I believe the problem is two-fold:

1. Sark's once innovative offense is outdated. It is too complex, especially in the NIL era where there is so much turnover and over 50% of your offense is learning from scratch.
2. It is simply too much to be a HC and call plays. Many greats have tried it (offense or defense) and bailed. One being Nick Saban.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 9402
1893 photo of the first University of Texas - Austin football team. 11 players and one man in a suit. Standing - left to right: Ray McLane, James Morrison, J.H. Myer, R.E.L. Roy Kneeling - left to right: Victor Moor, Paul McLane, J.W. Philip Sitting - left to right: David Furman, W.P. McLean, W.J. Crawford (Mgr) , R.U. Lee, Adison Day Courtesy UNT Digital Library, Portal to History
It is a fascinating study -- how football was played back then. The explicit purpose was to prepare young men for war. In 1905, 19 players died playing college football - causing Teddy Roosevelt to call the college presidents together and make reforms (in order to save the sport). There was a national movement forming to ban the sport and many college presidents were being proactive and banning it on their campuses. It was from this meeting with the college presidents that the NCAA was formed. You can make a good case that Teddy Roosevelt saved football.

The violence of the game back then was unthinkable by today's standards.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom