Requested BBQ Smoking Thread****Part 4****

Do any of you guys put any kind of sauce on your brisket about 30 minutes before taking it off the grill?. I've never done this but a friend of mine did and it was great.
Sauce on brisket?  Only if I've screwed something up. 

Reactions: okiehorn and DBut82
 Maybe I should have called it a sop. 

It was some combo of Dr Pepper vinegar and honey. It caramelized on the bark and was freaking great.

@Bear19,

I tried something this weekend for the first time with brisket.  After the brisket was done and rested, I took it out of the wrap and cut off about an inch of the end of the point, and both sides from the point, same, about an inch or two thick slice.  I cubed these, put a dry rub on them that had more sugar content, then drizzled them with a small bit of Stubbs BBQ Sauce.  Tossed them in a pan really well so they were all coated with the rub and a light glaze of the sauce. 

Threw them back into the pit at 200 for about an hour or so.  Boom-burnt ends.  The glaze and sugar-based rub carmelized on the pieces nicely, and they were very tender.  It was a hit.

Reactions: DBut82
@Bear19,

I tried something this weekend for the first time with brisket.  After the brisket was done and rested, I took it out of the wrap and cut off about an inch of the end of the point, and both sides from the point, same, about an inch or two thick slice.  I cubed these, put a dry rub on them that had more sugar content, then drizzled them with a small bit of Stubbs BBQ Sauce.  Tossed them in a pan really well so they were all coated with the rub and a light glaze of the sauce. 

Threw them back into the pit at 200 for about an hour or so.  Boom-burnt ends.  The glaze and sugar-based rub carmelized on the pieces nicely, and they were very tender.  It was a hit.
That's awesome! I'm taking my 1st crack at burnt ends this weekend for the game & the Canelo fight!

Reactions: joeywa
Hey Joey!  I do A LOT of smoking on my Weber Kettle. I love this thing. I'm saving for a reverse flow (probably a Lang) but until then, it's what I rock with.  With all that said, have you seen/heard of the Slow N Sear?  It's an accessory for kettle grill for direct/indirect set up.  I love it.  Here are a few pics. That's not my turkey. LOL! But that's my smocked mac & cheese  :D

SNS_PLUS_1-500x333.jpg

turkey-3.jpg

Smoked_Mac.jpg

I have not.  Tell me about it.  Looks like a way to isolate your smoking wood chunks and keep them above the hot coals, allowing them to smoke/smolder and not completely catch fire.  Is that about right?

I'm in the market for a new grill/smoker. I have about a $500 budget and currently have a barrel smoker and a round Weber charcoal grill. I'm looking for something nice that will last. Heard great things about Traeger and Big Green Egg. 

What do y'all recommend I do?

I have not.  Tell me about it.  Looks like a way to isolate your smoking wood chunks and keep them above the hot coals, allowing them to smoke/smolder and not completely catch fire.  Is that about right?
Yes, but that of course depends on air flow. I've had all vents open and it can get to 600 deg. rather quickly. But, yes, it sets up a direct/indirect cooking zone. You add water to the trough which further separates the zones, stabilizes the temps while also adding moisture to the chamber. You kinda set up a snake method with the coals. I generally just mix my wood in with the coal as opposed to just laying them on top. I've gotten 10+ hours or continuous cook time at 225-250 no problem.

I'm in the market for a new grill/smoker. I have about a $500 budget and currently have a barrel smoker and a round Weber charcoal grill. I'm looking for something nice that will last. Heard great things about Traeger and Big Green Egg. 

What do y'all recommend I do?
I know you currently have a barrel smoker but personally with $500 I'd look into an Oklahoma Joe reverse flow offset stick burner.  They retail for about $500-$600. I know they're now owned by CharBroil and from my understanding the quality of them has diminished but I couldn't tell you that from personal experience.  The ones I've seen appear to be well built.  I'd look at the thickness of the materials and if you're comfortable with it then pull the trigger.  There are mods that can be done to them to "upgrade" your pit and that may be a good route.  I'm only telling you this because as badly as I want to keep saving for something like a Lang, I'm getting impatient and may do exactly this. LOL!  I'm not a fan of pellet smokers (nothing against them; just call me more traditional I guess) and from my understanding the BGE are awesome but take time to master.  When it comes down to it tho, learn your pit, be happy with it and you'll produce some great que!  Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: TB14
Hey Joey!  I do A LOT of smoking on my Weber Kettle. I love this thing. I'm saving for a reverse flow (probably a Lang) but until then, it's what I rock with.  With all that said, have you seen/heard of the Slow N Sear?  It's an accessory for kettle grill for direct/indirect set up.  I love it.  Here are a few pics. That's not my turkey. LOL! But that's my smocked mac & cheese  :D

View attachment 1169

View attachment 1170

View attachment 1171
I can't find a price for the lang's on their website. Do you know the price of their standard 36 inch grill?

Thanks. I swear I was on their website and could never find a price  

Sometimes it sucks to be a dumbass. 

• Haha
I know you currently have a barrel smoker but personally with $500 I'd look into an Oklahoma Joe reverse flow offset stick burner.  They retail for about $500-$600. I know they're now owned by CharBroil and from my understanding the quality of them has diminished but I couldn't tell you that from personal experience.  The ones I've seen appear to be well built.  I'd look at the thickness of the materials and if you're comfortable with it then pull the trigger.  There are mods that can be done to them to "upgrade" your pit and that may be a good route.  I'm only telling you this because as badly as I want to keep saving for something like a Lang, I'm getting impatient and may do exactly this. LOL!  I'm not a fan of pellet smokers (nothing against them; just call me more traditional I guess) and from my understanding the BGE are awesome but take time to master.  When it comes down to it tho, learn your pit, be happy with it and you'll produce some great que!  Good luck!
I will tell you to steer clear of any Char Broil product. They have significantly cheapened the materials that they use on the New Braunfels line of pits. This was likely done to hit a price point but they don't last. 

I would recoomend looking into the Old Country brand carried at Academy. They have on offset that runs around $499 I believe, and another that's $699. Quality built and durable. 

Whatever you buy, you will get what you pay for. 

Reactions: Bear19 and DBut82
I will tell you to steer clear of any Char Broil product. They have significantly cheapened the materials that they use on the New Braunfels line of pits. This was likely done to hit a price point but they don't last. 

I would recoomend looking into the Old Country brand carried at Academy. They have on offset that runs around $499 I believe, and another that's $699. Quality built and durable. 

Whatever you buy, you will get what you pay for. 
Thanks Joey! I had heard/read that the quality of those pits had diminished since CharBroil bought them. And yes, Old Country makes a solid unit for the price.

Hey Joey! I'm attempting beef short ribs for the 1st time. As far as cook times, should they take about as long as a brisket of equal weight. Or can I expect that they'll cook faster due to the bone? I got em prepped and ready but I'm trying to time em to be ready for the game. Thanks!

Hey Joey! I'm attempting beef short ribs for the 1st time. As far as cook times, should they take about as long as a brisket of equal weight. Or can I expect that they'll cook faster due to the bone? I got em prepped and ready but I'm trying to time em to be ready for the game. Thanks!
My experience is faster than a brisket but looking for the same type of signs; fork tender, heavy bark, internal of 200-205-ish. 

• Thanks