Requested BBQ Smoking Thread****Part 4****

Jeff that BB pit don't look used and the way you cook BBQ I know what your pit must really look like. Best dang BBQ er in the NW United States. My friend y'all have a great Weekend Go Horns beat the hell out of TCU also go LSU deal the aggy football another loss. It is fun to watch them go into melt down.

Y'all remember when we started the BBQ Smoking series and I told you that you're going to screw something up?  Well, this morning it was my turn.  I had some turkey legs and a bourbon pecan pie on the pit.  Unexpected flare up sent major flames into the smoke chamber.  I had to shut down the damper and the smoke stacks.  Singed my eyebrows and the pie was scorched and ruined.  Back to the drawing board, (or kitchen as it was.)  The turkey legs will be fine.  The pie had to be remade. 

My point?  Fear not.  The smoking gods chose me today.  Hopefully all of your smoked turkeys, hams, pies, prime ribs, etc., turn out well today. 

And don't worry if you do screw it up, just gather yourself and try again!

Happy Thanksgiving all.  Hook Em!

Y'all remember when we started the BBQ Smoking series and I told you that you're going to screw something up?  Well, this morning it was my turn.  I had some turkey legs and a bourbon pecan pie on the pit.  Unexpected flare up sent major flames into the smoke chamber.  I had to shut down the damper and the smoke stacks.  Singed my eyebrows and the pie was scorched and ruined.  Back to the drawing board, (or kitchen as it was.)  The turkey legs will be fine.  The pie had to be remade. 

My point?  Fear not.  The smoking gods chose me today.  Hopefully all of your smoked turkeys, hams, pies, prime ribs, etc., turn out well today. 

And don't worry if you do screw it up, just gather yourself and try again!

Happy Thanksgiving all.  Hook Em!
i like to BBQ as much as the next guy and find my self cooking out side as we travel across the country. But a pie on the BBQ pit is a first. My friends y'all have a great day

Reactions: Shevis Irons
i like to BBQ as much as the next guy and find my self cooking out side as we travel across the country. But a pie on the BBQ pit is a first. My friends y'all have a great day
Don't knock it, Jim.  You've had my BBQ before.  That smoked pie is off the charts! 

Don't knock it, Jim.  You've had my BBQ before.  That smoked pie is off the charts! 
I look forward to trying it and yes you can fix a some great BBQ. Deb will vouch for that. My friends y'all have a great week

Last edited by a moderator:
Did my first ever brisket on Saturday for my wife's birthday. Interesting day to say the least. She sprung the news that she wanted a brisket on me about 6:00 Friday night and then invited a bunch of friends and family over for a day of drinking, playing games, goofing off and waiting to see what I was gonna screw up. Got the fire started later than I intended and had to cook it hotter than I wanted but I got it done. Did brisket, fresh corn on the cob and smoked some potatoes as well all on the pit. Thoughts?? Be nice, or not, I don't care. No one has reported being ill yet so there is that.

Brisket.JPG

Brisket 2.JPG

Brisket 3.JPG

Reactions: Aaron Carrara
Honest thoughts here UTK, on the pit, looks good.  Bark developing nicely. 

On the cutting board, the flat looks a bit dry and not much smoke ring.  I attribute this to you having to ramp up the heat to meet the wife's deadline, so in essence, you baked it rather than smoked it.  No biggie.  You were under time constraints, so it's completely acceptable.  For your first effort, you done good. 

Couple of thoughts for your next smoke:

If your wife tells you that there's going to be folks coming over for supper, and she wants it by 6, tell her it'll be ready when it's ready, and stock up on more beer for the guests.  They'll wait, I promise.  Never had anyone walk out and say "Screw this noise, I ain't waitin' for the brisket to be ready." 

Secondly, when you slice it, slice it across the grain, which is not necessarily from side to side, it's usually going to be at a slight angle.

a59e8e73-ec5d-4328-90ed-e7c8c6b3cd60_zpstaz65i7h.jpg

When you smoke it low and slow, you'll get a better smoke ring.  When you get up above 300 degrees, you lose quite a bit of the smoke process.

Overall, good job.  Keep at it.  You'll pick up little things, (that others won't necessarily notice, but you will,) that will make your briskets better almost every time you smoke one. 

Reactions: DBut82 and UTK66
UTK, I'd eat that brisket! Then again there aren't many things I wouldn't eat that spawn from the grill. :)

Reactions: UTK66
i've never heard of it either jim. i think joey's making sh*t up. and i'm guessin' the fire started because not all the bourbon was in the pie.
I was thinking the same thing. I grew up around a grill and smoker, but I have never heard of a BBQ'd or smoked pie. Joeywa, you need to challenge Bobby Flay to a pie grill-off.  :p

I've got some pics of it.  
ui2ik71528b6402viewattth12c84a68c88.jpg

This next one was the first attempt  I learned that you need to leave it covered with foil while in the pit or else the crust starts to turn black-see the pie crust at ~5 o'clock 

40bef811.jpg

Reactions: DBut82 and Embrey
BBQ is near and dear to my heart. I've read most of this thread and would like to give my thoughts and ideas about grilling or smoking. 

1. If you can, always choose wood. The flavor imparted to the meat is much better than charcoal. I myself prefer a mixture of oak and mesquite. Pecan is another good choice.

2. I have three pits. For Hambugers, sausage and steaks I use a Weber round grill. All of these are quick meats and are a hot, quick cook. This type of grill is perfect in my opinion.

3. For chicken I use a barrel smoker. I build the fire to the side opposite the flue. It doesn't cook as quick as a small grill but will impart a smokey flavor.

4. For brisket and ribs I use a smoker with a fire box. I was lucky enough to find a New Braunfels smoker before they went all electric. Start your fire an hour before you put your meat on so you can get the smoker up to heat and keep a fairly level temp. As the fire dies down you will have to add kindling and larger pieces to keep up the temp you want. Just know that kindling will spike the temp and chunks or large pieces will smother your fire. It has to be balanced. If you don't know a recipe for homemade rubs, I'd like to suggest the Fiesta brand. They make a good Rib and Brisket rub.

5. My next project is to build a stationary pit. 4' X 3', metal frame with tin sides. The grill about 3.5' to 4' above the ground. The fire is started outside of the pit in a burn pile and introduced via a side door after it has burned down to coals. This is Hill country BBQ at it's finest. It cooks Roast sized pieces of Mutton, beef or pork and whole chickens. A thin BBQ sauce is usually applied as the meat cooks.

I've got some pics of it.  

This next one was the first attempt  I learned that you need to leave it covered with foil while in the pit or else the crust starts to turn black-see the pie crust at ~5 o'clock 

It looks badass. Where can I get one. I understand how the smokey flavor combines with the pecans and corn syrup. I just can't wrap my head around a smokey pie crust.

It looks badass. Where can I get one. I understand how the smokey flavor combines with the pecans and corn syrup. I just can't wrap my head around a smokey pie crust.
The smoke doesn't so much permeate the crust of you wrap it in foil. You have to remember, you're dealing with a frozen pie crust, AKA Marie Callender's shells. It needs to cook, which it will under the foil. It also takes longer to cook than in an oven. Don't ask me why. But as long as you cover the pie, the crust doesn't take very much smoke at all. 

It's solid on the day you cook it, but once you refrigerate it and have it the next day, Holy Crap it's awesome. The smoke flavor settles into the pie filling as it's congealing in the fridge. It's like smokey bourbon pecan candy. 

BBQ is near and dear to my heart. I've read most of this thread and would like to give my thoughts and ideas about grilling or smoking. 

1. If you can, always choose wood. The flavor imparted to the meat is much better than charcoal. I myself prefer a mixture of oak and mesquite. Pecan is another good choice.

2. I have three pits. For Hambugers, sausage and steaks I use a Weber round grill. All of these are quick meats and are a hot, quick cook. This type of grill is perfect in my opinion.

3. For chicken I use a barrel smoker. I build the fire to the side opposite the flue. It doesn't cook as quick as a small grill but will impart a smokey flavor.

4. For brisket and ribs I use a smoker with a fire box. I was lucky enough to find a New Braunfels smoker before they went all electric. Start your fire an hour before you put your meat on so you can get the smoker up to heat and keep a fairly level temp. As the fire dies down you will have to add kindling and larger pieces to keep up the temp you want. Just know that kindling will spike the temp and chunks or large pieces will smother your fire. It has to be balanced. If you don't know a recipe for homemade rubs, I'd like to suggest the Fiesta brand. They make a good Rib and Brisket rub.

5. My next project is to build a stationary pit. 4' X 3', metal frame with tin sides. The grill about 3.5' to 4' above the ground. The fire is started outside of the pit in a burn pile and introduced via a side door after it has burned down to coals. This is Hill country BBQ at it's finest. It cooks Roast sized pieces of Mutton, beef or pork and whole chickens. A thin BBQ sauce is usually applied as the meat cooks.
Great post. I use a gas grill for sausage (like Eckrich) and sometimes chicken. I use my pit for almost everything else. I use Royal Oak lump to start all my fires. Then it's all about the wood.  

I also had a New Braunfels as my starter pit 16+ years ago. Back when they weren't owned and ruined by Char Broil. That thing was a machine. Love my Old Country that I have now. My buddy Chas Holmstrom was the owner of this company. He tragically passed away last month from a heart attack at 47 and left behind a wife and kids. Awful deal. It made my Old Country irreplaceable, at least to me. 

Do any of you guys put any kind of sauce on your brisket about 30 minutes before taking it off the grill?. I've never done this but a friend of mine did and it was great.