Horn Sports Recipes

Here are a couple of recipes I have been playing with over the summer for tailgaiting. 

The first is a Vietnamese five-spice chicken wing recipe that is an incredible alternative to buffalo spiced wings. The recipe is from a Dallas restaurant that should be on any foodie's casual weekend lunch bucket list. 

The second one of for an easy baby back rib recipe that takes a fraction of the time it would take to smoke them. 

The third is a chicken souvlaki for those not into eating pork or beef. 

The last one is for prime rib on a grill. If you want to do a first class tailgate, prime rib is a lot easier than steaks. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about flipping steaks to keep them from overcooking and with a meat thermometer, you can be assured the prime rib is cooked to the desired degree. The recipe has a horseradish sauce that I make up in plastic squeeze bottles and keep in the cooler until needed. 
RD, I'm making the chicken wing recipe next week.  Where do I find coconut caramel?  In the baking/spice section of grocery store?

RD, I'm making the chicken wing recipe next week. Where do I find coconut caramel? In the baking/spice section of grocery store?
You make it yourself. One can of coconut milk with a cup of brown sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce it down. Google the recipe to be sure. It stores forever in the refrigerator.

Reactions: SFlonghorngirl
Mexican Cornbread:

1 lg. chopped onion

3 eggs

1.5 cups self-rising corn meal

2/3 cup oil

1 cup whole kernel corn

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup sour cream

4-5 tsp of chopped jalapeño peppers (we use jalapeños out of a jar, not fresh cut...for some reason it tastes better. Whitney also likes to pour a little bit of the juice into the mix)

Mix all together. Bake in a round skillet (we use a cast iron skillet from Cracker Barrel and put a little bit of oil in the skillet prior to adding the batter and let it warm on the stove) for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
LukusIs it possible that you meant self rising cornbread mix rather than pure cornmeal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lukus

Is it possible that you meant self rising cornbread mix rather than pure cornmeal?
Yes...Martha White self-rising corn meal.
Here are some pics of the Mexican Cornbread my wife made this evening. An hour in the oven...flip it over and it's ready. Make sure you heat a bit of oil in the skillet before pouring in the batter.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lukas

Yes to cornmeal or the cornbread mix? There is a big difference.

I frequently get requests for my fried chicken from many people, as well.  I will try to put the recipe on here later.  It's not difficult, but requires patience.

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, 1 hour preparation

note:  first time that I tried making these and they were outstanding.  if you are familiar with The Zone, these are fairly Zone friendly.

8 Enchiladas, can roll or make flat in New Mexico tradition.  New Mexico Green Chile from Hatch is best.  Can buy at Central Market or Upscale HEB.

Ingredients

Hatch Green Chile Sauce

Chicken Broth, 3 cups

1 1/2 cups onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 chopped fresh tomato

3 chicken breasts

1 1/2 to 2 cups colby and monterrey jack cheese, or monterrey jack, or mild cheddar, by preference

1 tsp cilantro

sour cream or light sour cream (1/2 cup)

corn or flour tortillas

garnish with:  salsa, portion of the sour cream, fresh tomato, spanish rice, as preferred

Either purchase or make Hatch green chile sauce in advance.  I purchased it at HEB, approximately 24 oz.

Boil chicken breasts until cooked through, approximately 18 minutes. 

Pour 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil into glass rectangular baking dish (13x9x2) baking dish and place into 350 degree oven

Simmer chicken broth (low fat if desired) with onion & garlic for 15 minutes, add cilantro during last 3 or 4 minutes.

-When chicken is cooked, shred and roll into tortillas with about 1/2 of the cheese  (if making flat, stacked enchiladas, you may do the same thing)

----be certain to place edge side down

-Take baking dish from oven and place enchiladas in dish, spread 1/2 sour cream over top of enchiladas

-pour green chile sauce over the enchiladas.

-pour chicken stock with onions, garlic, and cilantro over the enchiladas

Note:  you may not want to use all of the stock.  use your judgement.

Heat in 350 - 375 oven for 30 - 40 minutes until bubbly, put remaining cheese over enchiladas during the last 15 minutes.

Serve with remaining Sour Cream,  Salsa,  Tomatoes and Black Olives to garnish as is your preference.

This is much easier and quicker than it sounds.   

SFG, fyi, 

I did not use sour cream on the ones that I ate and used corn tortillas so more Zone friendly, though I tasted a bite with the sour cream.  It adds an extra dimension, but I am just as happy with more salsa.  The salsa that I prefer, and I consider myself fairly discriminating about the subject, is Native Texan, Restaurant Style.  It's made in Austin.  I purchase at HEB or Central Market.  I don't know if they have HEB's in Dallas (if you are still there), but they do have it at Central Market.  They probably have it at Whole Foods, as well.  It's not horribly expensive, but it doesn't seem that many stores carry it.  I don't know why because it is outstanding, and I believe I paid $3.00/jar, which I consider quite reasonable for good salsa.  :)

The Zone also encourages soft cheeses, but the beauty of The Zone, is that you can modify it somewhat.  Much of the philosophy centers around avoiding 'bad' or insulin producing carbs and processed foods, and that suits me just fine. 

Lucus

Made the Mexican cornbread. Could not find the Martha White you pictured so got Pioneer corn bread mix. Used a cup and a half of that and one cup of buttermilk instead of the Sweet milk it called for. Everything else is exactly as you had written. It is delicious. We just cut it and my wife is enjoying it with a bowl of pinto beans right now.

Thanks.

Lucus

Made the Mexican cornbread. Could not find the Martha White you pictured so got Pioneer corn bread mix. Used a cup and a half of that and one cup of buttermilk instead of the Sweet milk it called for. Everything else is exactly as you had written. It is delicious. We just cut it and my wife is enjoying it with a bowl of pinto beans right now.

Thanks.
Awesome! Take pics if you can.

Lukus

Hate to admit it but I do not know how to post pics. I have actually been going to start a thread getting directions but I hate to be "that guy."

At any rate it was cooked perfectly with a brown crust on bottom. As I do with all cornbread and as you suggested I put the skillet with a little oil on the stove burner and got it hot and then pour the mixture in and let it bubble for a couple of minutes first. I think this helps you and get that delicious bottom crust.

Bear, I'm no expert, but I just took a picture with my phone, emailed it to myself, uploaded it to my computer, and used my media.  Someone else can probably make it sound better, but it took about 2 minutes.  I didn't want to look for the cord to attach to computer and my router from cable company is simply terrible.

Going to call Dish tomorrow as soon as I get AC problem resolved.  It went out this afternoon, which is a pretty big deal in mid-August!  :)