Horn Sports Recipes

SFlonghorngirl

Premium Members
Nov 5, 2013
Can't lie. Didn't make this recipe myself.  I stole from Michael Symon, an Iron Chef.  Super easy, light, and refreshing.  Great with BBQ/grilled meats! I only added half the dressing mixture.  Tasted the salad to see if I needed to add more and did not.  Add the liquid mixture to your liking.  

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/grilled-corn-salad-michael-symon

20140806_171244_zps44576817.jpg

Reactions: Lukus Alderman
Looks like you did more corn than he suggests too or is that a double batch?

Here are a couple of recipes I have been playing with over the summer for tailgaiting. 

The first is a Vietnamese five-spice chicken wing recipe that is an incredible alternative to buffalo spiced wings. The recipe is from a Dallas restaurant that should be on any foodie's casual weekend lunch bucket list. 

The second one of for an easy baby back rib recipe that takes a fraction of the time it would take to smoke them. 

The third is a chicken souvlaki for those not into eating pork or beef. 

The last one is for prime rib on a grill. If you want to do a first class tailgate, prime rib is a lot easier than steaks. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about flipping steaks to keep them from overcooking and with a meat thermometer, you can be assured the prime rib is cooked to the desired degree. The recipe has a horseradish sauce that I make up in plastic squeeze bottles and keep in the cooler until needed. 

5 spice wings.pdf

Grilled Glazed Baby Back Ribs .pdf

Grilled Chicken Souvlaki .pdf

Grill-Roasted Prime Rib .pdf

football-tailgate-thechive-22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of recipes I have been playing with over the summer for tailgaiting.

The first is a Vietnamese five-spice chicken wing recipe that is an incredible alternative to buffalo spiced wings. The recipe is from a Dallas restaurant that should be on any foodie's casual weekend lunch bucket list.

The second one of for an easy baby back rib recipe that takes a fraction of the time it would take to smoke them.

The last one is for prime rib on a grill. If you want to do a first class tailgate, prime rib is a lot easier than steaks. It takes longer, but you don't have to worry about flipping steaks to keep them from overcooking and with a meat thermometer, you can be assured the prime rib is cooked to the desired degree. The recipe has a horseradish sauce that I make up in plastic squeeze bottles and keep in the cooler until needed.
RD, for the chicken wings, did you find the annato oil at the Asian market?

RD, for the chicken wings, did you find the annato oil at the Asian market?
I use achiote paste (achiote is the same thing as annato). Any decent Latin market will have it. It comes from the Yucatan. If you find the seeds, you can infuse cooking oil (I have used grapeseed and canola) with the seeds. The easiest thing is to find the achiote paste at Fiesta and keep it in the fridge for when you are doing chicken or pork. I use it the most on chicken fajitas or grilled pork tenderloin steaks.
And the caramelized coconut milk is great in coffee if you like Vietnamese coffee. It also works over vanilla ice cream and fresh berries.

Reactions: SFlonghorngirl
OK, here's a good tailgate recipe

Elephant Stew

1 medium sized elephant (cubed into bite sized pieces)

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

cook elephant in large stew pot for 48 hours at 450 degrees until tender, making sure that you continue to add gravy to avoid drying out

serves 3000

add rabbits if more people show up to stretch recipe, but be careful.  some people don't like to find hare in their stew.

SIAP

Elephant Stew

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

cook elephant in large stew pot for 48 hours at 450 degrees until tender, making sure that you continue to add gravy to avoid drying out

serves 3000

add rabbits if more people show up to stretch recipe, but be careful.  some people don't like to find hare in their stew.

SIAP
is this recipe directed towards the "beverly hillbillies" tailgaters group?  or is this a profound joke towards the crimson tide of alabama...

Elephant Stew

brown gravy to cover

2 rabbits (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

serves 3000

SIAP
the fact i actually laughed at this probably says more about me than i should probably reveal.

RD, I'm just reviewing this now on my computer. I didn't notice the pic until now.  Is that seriously your tailgate?  Looks like a Michelin 3 star tailgate!

Mexican Cornbread:

1 lg. chopped onion

3 eggs

1.5 cups self-rising corn meal

2/3 cup oil

1 cup whole kernel corn

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup sour cream

4-5 tsp of chopped jalapeño peppers (we use jalapeños out of a jar, not fresh cut...for some reason it tastes better. Whitney also likes to pour a little bit of the juice into the mix)

Mix all together. Bake in a round skillet (we use a cast iron skillet from Cracker Barrel and put a little bit of oil in the skillet prior to adding the batter and let it warm on the stove) for 60 minutes at 350 degrees.