Requested BBQ Smoking Thread ****Part 3****

joeywa

Unofficial HS BBQ Consultant & Baseball Pundit
Nov 4, 2013
Sorry for the delay, but this thread is going to discuss the types of woods used in smoking.

You can use many types of woods for smoking, and each imparts different flavors. Depending upon what tyype of meat you've got on the pit, that will help determine what type you use.

Let's discuss here, and as always, I'll try to answer questions for y'all.

Here's a list of my favorites:

Pork: Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Pecan, Maple

Beef: Pecan, Oak, Mesquite

Turkey: Cherry, Pecan

Chicken: Oak, Apple, Pecan

Fish: Alder

NEVER use pine or cedar for smoking.

I tend to use red oak as a base for most of my smokes. If I could get my hands on Post Oak logs, I'd use that instead.

I don't like white oak.

I really like Pecan

Mesquite you have to be careful with, as it can be very overpowering.

So fire away with your questions.

It really depends on where you're located. It is FAR easier to find smoking wood suppliers in Texas than in TN or WA. Check out google, searching for "smoking woods, your town," and see what is around you. Craigslist is also a good resource.

Academy carries logs, but they're expensive.

Reactions: Lukus Alderman
I would also like to request that you do a segment on proper smoker maintenance. That would be greatly appreciated!

Joeywa

I only smoke two meats. Brisket and sparerib. I decided many years ago that Postoak is the best overall wood. I also love pecan. Several years ago I acquired a piece of land that is covered in Postoak and pecan.

The 2010 drought killed a few oaks and pecans. You are welcome to come get some. Just bring your chainsaw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joeywa
Joeywa

I only smoke two meats. Brisket and sparerib. I decided many years ago that Postoak is the best overall wood. I also love pecan. Several years ago I acquired a piece of land that is covered in Postoak and pecan.

The 2010 drought killed a few oaks and pecans. You are welcome to come get some. Just bring your chainsaw.
Thanks Bear. Is this property, by chance, in Seattle? ;)

If so, I'll be right up.

If anyone knows of someone willing to send some post oak/pecan/mesquite wood via mail, please let me know.  I am more than willing to pay for the shipping and any other "reasonable" fees they may charge.

I have a Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) address, so you can use the flat rate boxes and just pack them up and ship.

I've been using a combo of mesquite and pecan.  Produces great flavor with ribs and pulled pork.

I have combo of mesquite and cherry ready for brisket.  Can't find any post oak and not going out of my way to find it.  I'll stick to what they have at Home Depot.  

I've been using a combo of mesquite and pecan.  Produces great flavor with ribs and pulled pork.

I have combo of mesquite and cherry ready for brisket.  Can't find any post oak and not going out of my way to find it.  I'll stick to what they have at Home Depot.  
SFLG, try the following, (all in the DFW area):

http://www.discountfirewood.com/

http://www.rosemeademarket.com/

http://www.hirschsmeats.com/hirsch-products/hirsch_products_woodsandseasonings.htm

Also, Bass Pro sells chunks, and Acadamy has bags of chunks and/or logs. 

Reactions: SFlonghorngirl
My go to for anything beef is post oak. If I am running low I will use pecan which I have found works well also. I recently did a Boston Butt and used peach, which I had never tried before, and I sat very well with the pork and added a little sweetness to it. 

In the Austin area Randells is usually a good place to find bags of Pecan, Hickory and sometimes Oak.

Harley's woods ( Austin area ) located just past the northbound intersection of 183 and Anderson Mill ( IIRC ). Has just about every kind of local wood available and they load you up for $20

Thanks much for all your efforts and smoking knowledge.  I am now armed with proper information.

thanks again   gmcc

Reactions: Aaron Carrara
Any thoughts for what the next segment should include?  Fire away.