McPhaul - Is Mack Digging In?

Nov 5, 2013
Read the Crossfire last night and saw that Friend of Bevo said we might see "official" news from the school today on Mack. What do you make of the tweet from Travis Haney about an hour ago?

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 41m

It's becoming obvious, but source told me that Mack Brown "isn't going to make it easy. He's told people he's not going to resign."

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 40m

Source made reference to Brown's desire to chase Royal's all-time wins mark at UT. He's 9 behind. Says Brown would feel validated by that.

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 31m

On Royal/wins. Source: "He'd be able to say, 'It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I won more games than anyone at the Univ of Texas.'"

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 24m

My response to all that from the sources was: If Mack Brown "wins" this war, does he really win? How could he function in that toxicity?

there is no chance Mack can come back at this point. Not with it already being out he's gone. He's not going to stay. There is no way the people involved would possibly let him stay at this point. The horse has been out of the barn for a LONG time now. I think a lot of this stuff is smoke or negotiation for his severance package

Too many people including even national sources are saying it happens this week

Haney isn't going to know anything. He doesn't have sources. If this were coming out from someone like Burton or the like then it might be something to worry about.

He can be fired if "we" want to fire him. He has no legal right to continue on the job. He would have a right to sue for damages on his contract(s) but he cannot legally force the school to keep him as the head coach if school has determined to terminate.

Which gets back to the president and athletic director who represent the school here which brings up the leverage the various interested parties have on the president and athletic director.

the longer this goes on with mack the less of a chance with saban..i believe mack knows this and untill ns says no then mack will fight!

the longer this goes on with mack the less of a chance with saban..i believe mack knows this and untill ns says no then mack will fight!
This is the part that concerns me. We needed Mack to choose the parade route to make NS to Texas easier and the pine box option doesn't help whatsoever. I don't doubt that he's done though.

there is a fine line between a good exit and being fired. hopefully those around him make him aware that he no longer has a choice and the train is moving. he can get on the train and ride it or be run over, his call. i hope he does the correct thing and makes this easy for all involved.

there is no chance Mack can come back at this point. Not with it already being out he's gone. He's not going to stay. There is no way the people involved would possibly let him stay at this point. The horse has been out of the barn for a LONG time now. I think a lot of this stuff is smoke or negotiation for his severance package
Too many people including even national sources are saying it happens this week
This is why the end was announced. Some people inside apparently knew he wasn't going softly into the good night. Of course the announcement pisses him off. Regardless of which side you were supporting in this ordeal, yesterday's announcement was a sea changing moment. Now everybody is acknowledging that it is over.

MB, please do not make us use your name, DKR and jock strap in the same sentence.

if, in fact, mack is not happy with the possibility of nick saban replacing him, then it is in mack's best interest to create as much chaos on his way out as possible. the chaos creates issues that the AD has to handle, which could result in a delay in any happenings with saban. delays arent good.

Can't we just fire him then? I mean, it would seem to me the only way he can make things difficult is if we allow him to resign. Can him if he's going to sotnewall.

This is why the end was announced. Some people inside apparently knew he wasn't going softly into the good night. Of course the announcement pisses him off. Regardless of which side you were supporting in this ordeal, yesterday's announcement was a sea changing moment. Now everybody is acknowledging that it is over.
MB, please do not make us use your name, DKR and jock strap in the same sentence.
If he needs 10 wins to pass DKR, i suspect it would take him 2 yrs, he can't run a program anymore, he is delusional and downright selfish.

I agree the head honchos are using the media to prod him along, and he doesn't like it. The end result will be either a celebration of Mack or if he makes it ugly he will become despised. Its up to Mack but the decision has been made, its not up to him any longer.

I could understand him wanting to pass Royal on the wins list if he had won in 2008 and 2009 and had 3 national titles to match darrel and was 9 wins short after going on this plunge the last 4 years. But the fact that he has 1 national title compared to Royals 3 and he thinks he will be known as the greatest with an extra season to achive the all times win record is foolish.

if, in fact, mack is not happy with the possibility of nick saban replacing him, then it is in mack's best interest to create as much chaos on his way out as possible. the chaos creates issues that the AD has to handle, which could result in a delay in any happenings with saban. delays arent good.
Nice job PJ. You have defined the point at which MB's interest and Texas' interest diverge.