Following the upset win over #7 Oklahoma, Texas head coach Tom Herman met with members of the media to discuss the win and the upcoming Baylor game.
The Longhorns are ranked #9 in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and will host the Baylor Bears at 2:30 PM on Saturday at Darrell K. Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.
A recap of the key points of Herman’s Monday media availability can be found below.
- Injuries – Herman mentioned there were no significant injury updates to report post OU. References Patrick Hudson (heat-related hospital issue), Malcolm Roach (broken foot from USC game) and longer-term injuries that are surgery-related.
- Herman said it was nice for the offense to carry a game for the team instead of having to rely on the defense to do so.
- Baylor isn’t a team that Herman or his players take lightly. The Bears have a winning record (4-2, 2-1) and a top-10 passing offense.
- After two straight road games, the team is happy to be playing at home this Saturday.
- The play of the game for Tom Herman (against Oklahoma) was the 3rd and 20 on the first drive of the second half in which Ehlinger threw a tunnel screen to LJ Humphrey. Humphrey was stopped 2 yards shy of the first down marker after fighting for yardage. Texas went for it on 4th down and converted. Herman says the Humphrey play was a demonstration of the team’s “culture of toughness.”
- Tom Herman received 197 text messages after the win over Oklahoma. He received 9 text messages after the loss to Maryland. He used that as a teaching point to his players and reiterated that the only opinions that matter are of the coaches and fellow teammates – that the support would be there from those folks regardless of the outcome.
- Says the team is not at a place right now where winning should be “expected.” He reiterated that winning is the fruit of the labor of the week of preparation, and should be celebrated whether the team beats Tulsa or Oklahoma.
- Texas must play their best game in order to beat their opponent, nothing less.
- On Sam Ehlinger, Herman says the team and the coaches really believe in him right now. A few days prior to the Oklahoma game, Herman said he called Ehlinger and told him he plays really well when he is confident and agressive.
- The Longhorns have found somewhat of a blueprint that works. Herman says that when you find that blueprint, you don’t change it.
- Tom Herman voted his team #11 in the most recent AP Poll. Says he doesn’t watch a lot of college football but he hears Alabama is “good.”
- Herman on Baylor QB Charlie Brewer: I can’t say enough about his development. He’s really good. He has a chance to be special.”
Stay informed of the latest Texas news and information from HornSports.