Texas traveled to Morgantown Saturday in hopes of getting an upset win on the road, but instead suffered the biggest loss of the season. A long scoring drought in the 1st half and poor defense in the 2nd doomed the Longhorns, and the Mountaineers cruised to a 86-51 win. The loss drops Texas to 3-4 in Big 12 play and 12-7 overall.
The Longhorns jumped out to a 20–17 lead following a Kerwin Roach free throw at the 8:51 mark in the first half, but only scored 2 points the rest of the way leading up to halftime, giving West Virginia a 32-22 lead. The Mountaineers then exploded in the second half for 54 points, helping them cruise to an easy win. Guard Jevon Carter led the way with 22 points, including shooting 4 of 7 from deep. As a team, the Mountaineers shot 52.2% from beyond the arc.
It was a tough game offensively for the Longhorns. No player scored in double figures. As a team, Texas shot 34% from the field and only 20% from deep. Mo Bamba finished with 9 points and 13 rebounds. Texas was out rebounded 45-29 and committed 15 turnovers.
The Longhorns will return home Monday to face Iowa State. The game will tip off at 6PM CST on ESPNU. Follow along at HornSports for live updates.
- LSU bats come alive as Texas drops series opener, 13-4 February 24, 2018
- Help me first trip to Austin is for usc game February 23, 2018
- *****GAME THREAD - TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA STATE***** February 23, 2018
- ****Official Texas vs LSU Weekend Baseball Series Thread*** February 23, 2018
- Two Texas Players Named In Yahoo CBB Corruption Report February 23, 2018