University of Texas safety DeShon Elliott was named a semifinalist for the 2017 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award, which recognizes the top defensive back in college football. Elliott, a junior, joins 12 other players on a semifinalist list which will be whittled down to just three players on November 20th. The winner will be announced at ESPN’s College Football Awards Show, and will be broadcast live on December 7th, 2017.
Elliott has five interceptions on the season, 21 solo tackles, 11 assisted tackles, 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He is the only player on the list from the Big 12 Conference.
Complete list of Jim Thorpe Award Semifinalists:
Marcus Allen – Penn State
Quin Blanding – Virginia
Jalen Davis – Utah State
DeShon Elliott – Texas
Minkah Fitzpatrick – Alabama
Grant Haley – Penn State
Derwin James – Florida State
Jeremy McDuffie – Duke
Parry Nickerson – Tulane
Justin Reid – Stanford
Dominick Sanders – Georgia
Levi Wallace – Alabama
Denzel Ward – Ohio State
Texas has had two players win the award since its inception in 1986 (Michael Huff, 2005 & Aaron Ross, 2006).
USC’s Adoree’ Jackson won the award in 2016
- LSU bats come alive as Texas drops series opener, 13-4 February 24, 2018
- Help me first trip to Austin is for usc game February 23, 2018
- *****GAME THREAD - TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA STATE***** February 23, 2018
- ****Official Texas vs LSU Weekend Baseball Series Thread*** February 23, 2018
- Two Texas Players Named In Yahoo CBB Corruption Report February 23, 2018